Calm water Kayaks can be split into 2 main groups Recreational Kayaking & Ocean/Touring Kayaking with a sub group of fishing to either. Kayak Fishing can encompass both types of paddling listed below, boats may have additional features for rod holders, and gear storage. Here is a good breakdown of things to think about when you are looking at Calm water kayaking to help you determine what direction you would like to go.
- You enjoy short half to full day trips
- You enjoy adventure but on smaller bodies of water that are protected from current, waves & high winds.
- You love the manuverability of a little boat for easy turning
- You like to explore shorelines and prefer to not get too far out into open bodies of water.
Ocean & Touring Kayaking:
- You enjoy longer day to multi-day outings
- You enjoy the adventure of exploring larger bodies of water where you could be out in a large array of conditions.
- You enjoy exploring the coastline where tides & currents can come into effect.
- You like the ability to go longer distances and don’t mind a longer boat because it gives you more speed with less effort.
- You enjoy paddling year round.
NOT SURE YET??? No worries you can always test it out by taking a class to determine what you like. Current Adventures offers classes so that you can test out boats, and learn basic skills giving you a feel for what you might like.